Monday, January 29, 2007

my grammie & me and what i remember.

grammie&me
i started to change directions with my paintings today for the upcoming girly show when i came across a box of my grandmother's sewing labels "specially designed and handmade by eleanor hillman" and other vintage sewing ephemera from my mom.

i started to collage bits of these found objects and realized that it is also "girly" and true to my story... just as my lace elephants are. i need not be so literal.

i remember my grandmother so clearly even though she died when i was five. not too long after this picture, i imagine, since i was close to five in it at my pre-school graduation. i remember the way her soap smelled. the way she played with me and let me cut up my papa's socks to make puppets. shortly after i cut up my mom's socks to make more puppets (all of them i believe, even the nice wool ski socks) and received my first and only spanking that i can recall. i didn't make the connection that i had probably been using holey, lost of the pair socks, of my papa's. i now see the connection of re-inventing a sock into a lion puppet and a lace doily an elephant...

i think we lived with my grammie for a bit after my dad died (her youngest son). i remember her trying to convince me to go to bed during the summer, when it was light later and i would not have it. it's still light out, i want to go play! i remember lying in bed with my yellow polyester nightgown that had a bear on it that said "bear belly". i remember i was allowed to eat sugar cereal, specifically honey, nut cheerios.

i remember visiting her in florida where they wintered, disneyland, the works and how we were riding our bikes and she fell off. i remember being whisked away by a woman with a bathrobe who fed me giant whoppie pies. i remember thinking that i had killed my grandmother when she died soon after from a heart attack, that resulted from complications from her hip surgery, soon after the bike accident. why wasn't i a better biker? why did i let her fall?

i believe i had complicated feelings around death at that point, having also lost my dad. i remember being excited at her funeral to wear my new blue dress and play with my cousin susan. i remember sticking a rose between her fingers. i remember all of this and she is still part of me. her lineage, love and lessons of art and craft at such a formative age.

5 comments:

kelly rae said...

what a lovely post. it's funny how memories come and flood us when we find something tangible that came from our loved ones. i didn't realize that you had lost your father at a young age. me, too. i keep finding things about you that are about me. weird. and i can't wait to see what you've been painting!

laurel said...

you two look like you're enjoying each others company quite a bit, what a nice picture.

Goddess of Leonie said...

that is beautiful...
thank you so much for sharing ~
ancestry, lineage, girlhood and womanhood... it's big stuff, isn't it?

your gramma looks lovely...

love and light,
leonie
xoxoxo

lisa s said...

aw mati... your memories are great... and i love how you are connecting them to your work. very important and cool.... xo

Anonymous said...

Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,cheap wow gold,buy cheap wow gold,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ...
Here wow gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99 ,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),buy euro gold wow Cheap wow gold,cheapest wow gold store ... ffxi gil buy euro gold wow wow gold--buy cheap wow gold,sell wow gold.welcome to buy cheap wow gold--cheap, easy, wow gold purchasing.World of Warcraft,wow gold Super ...
We can have your wow gold,buy wow gold,wow gold game,world of warcraft gold, wow Gold Cheap wow, Cheap wow gold,world of warcraft gold deal,Cheap WOW Gold ...

Welcome to our website for you World of Warcraft Gold,Wow Gold,Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,wow gold,buy cheap wow gold,real wow gold,sell wow gold, ...
Here wow gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),buy gold wow lightninghoof instock Cheap wow gold,cheapest wow gold store ...
ffxi gil wow gold--buy cheap wow gold,sell wow gold.welcome to buy cheap wow gold--cheap, easy, wow gold purchasing.World of Warcraft,wow gold Super ...
Wow gold- Gold for buy gold wow lightninghoof instock EU-Server: ...wow Gold EU: starting from 84,99?; 3000 WoW Gold EU: starting from 119,99?. wow Gold- Leveling Services: ...
We can have your wow Gold,buy wow Gold,wow Gold game,wow gold, Cheap wow Gold, Cheap World of Warcraft Gold,world of warcraft gold deal,buy cheap wow gold,Cheap WOW Gold ...

Here wow Gold of 1000 gold at $68.99-$80.99,World Of Warcraft Gold,buy wow Gold,sell world of warcraft gold(wow gold),Cheap wow gold,cheapest World of Warcraft Gold store