Tuesday, February 26, 2008

cloth, paper, scissors profile

cloth, paper, scissors article

i'm honored to be featured in March/April's "cloth, paper, scissors" magazine. it hits news stands (well, barnes & noble, borders and major fabric stores to be sure) March 3rd ~ Monday already!

i got a sneak peek because my dear friend and fellow art dreamer & schemer kelly who is a regular contributor & has a subscription. thank you cate for interviewing me here! that was a fun conversation we had!

for a limited time i'm going to make this print that was featured available in my shoppe. I painted this almost 5 years ago and I still like it! It was painted when I was in Mexico and just starting my art journey in full, so it was a perfect piece to highlight. Even before birds were all the rage in design, I do believe;)

open studios 4 years ago

i came across this picture from about 4 years back and noticed the same bird painting in the background. i feel so much older now! this was my first open studios at my new studio and i was so nervous. notice my superhero necklace! this was from right around the time i started this blog too.

The article covers much of my path as an artist, which clearly continues to evolve, as it should. I like how I say "You can have a patchwork life" in the article. I feel that is what my life looks like today.

I currently work part-time helping to design textiles for bedding, some of which are truly patchwork, teach an art class a week, paint & illustrate and try to balance it all. I am so much happier than when I was working 9-5 every day. Or working nights at a restaurant while trying to make school happen. Every day is different and there isn't a day I dread! Wow. This is new. Now I just need to make sure I schedule more long stretches of time for painting.

xo
mati

12 comments:

kelly rae said...

loving that photo of you two. and the article is wonderful! it was a thrill to see so much of your work on several glossy magazine pages. woohoo!

here's to your first major feature in a national magazine (there will be more to come, i'm sure) and to a lovely patchwork life!

xo

design for mankind. said...

SHUT UP-- YOU ARE SO CUTE! And holy crap; am in LOVE with your work! :)

Send me your email addy so I can give you the deets of the third ezine!

Love to you, Mati!

Susannah said...

it's a fantastic article, Mati - congratulations!! I was thrilled for you when my copy came through my door :-) x

OldRound said...

Glad you've exited the server life. I stayed in it way too long. It's a deadend if it isn't your goal in life.

Linda said...

Hey, that bird painting is hanging on my wall now! I love it.

Tiffany said...

Congrats congrats! How fantastic for you! You are so deserving of the spotlight, my dear, because you are a fab artist.

♥ Tiff*

posy press said...

this is amazing...and i do love that line about patchwork...so true! cheers to you on your continued journey and success {and supercute photo of you + hugh}

stacy kathryn said...

That is so awesome and exciting, got to go pick up my issue next week. Love seeing artists i've followed for awhile get published! :) grats!

ArtsyMama said...

Big congrats on the article, Mati. Can't wait to read it!!!
Kari

Elin said...

tres cool my friend

violette said...

What a wonderful article in Cloth Paper Scissors! Congrats.....i love your wonderful and life affirming art too!

Love, Violette

Search Engine Optimization said...

Aside from the complex physical connections that make up its infrastructure, the Internet is facilitated by bi- or multi-lateral commercial contracts (e.g., peering agreements), and by technical specifications or protocols that describe how to exchange data over the network. Indeed, the Internet is essentially defined by its interconnections and routing policies.

As of December 30, 2007, 1.319 billion people use the Internet according to Internet World Stats. Writing in the Harvard International Review, philosopher N.J. Slabbert, a writer on policy issues for the Washington, D.C.–based Urban Land Institute, has asserted that the Internet is fast becoming a basic feature of global civilization, so that what has traditionally been called "civil society" is now becoming identical with information technology society as defined by Internet use. - web design company, web designer, web design india