Tuesday, January 20, 2009

today feels pretty special

hugh and i got up early (for us) and biked down to civic center to watch the big screen and be among the crowd popping champagne, selling obama shirts (will they be on sale now?), and holding their kids up high on their shoulders. lots of boo-ing at appropriate parts and tears too.

i have a lot of hope. or as they said in italy... "HOPE-AH" when we got into cabs and they would smile and say "obama hope-ah". yay! such a different feeling traveling after he got elected, i tell you.

i wanted to share this video that got hugh and i a bit choked up a couple days ago: this land IS yours, mine and our children's~

7 comments:

andrea said...

today is so special. and I saw that performance of 'this land is your land' sunday night... so wonderful. and a little bit beyond words.

missin you, miss mati. xo

jen j-m said...

okay, that made me cry for the eleventy-gazillionth time today. thanks for sharing.
what a happy day!

sMacThoughts said...

Today DOES feel special. It feels magical. I have a hope and a 'feeling' like never before. And it is good.

Rowena said...

Dude! That totally made me weep. It just hit me that this land was made for you and me.

I swear. No cornball. Beyond the historical weight of electing a black president, I feel like it's not just the old white men in their compounds of privilege who get a say about who we are as a country, but actually the rest of us.

Wow.

Anonymous said...

swelling with hope and feeling a lot of pride in my country. what a wonderful day!! xxx

Geek+Nerd said...

I heard this on the radio at my last day of work (I just got laid off, gah!), and it just made me feel so hopeful. I have so much hope for our country right now.

Anonymous said...

It was and forever will be a very hopeful day. We get to be a part of history. I loved that performance!! I got goosebumps, sang along and yes, a bit teary.
Be well, Mati.
Love and Smiles,
Jill
nalettejm@yahoo.com