Thursday, February 05, 2009

yes, i like to paint elephants

I can't believe it.  It's already the first week of February! 
Tomorrow, Friday Feb 6th is the opening of the 5th Enormous Tiny Art Show at Nahcotta! It snuck up on me...
I decided for this show that I would paint all elephants with patterned speech bubbles, since they've been such a hit. One ellie in nearly every color. 

elephant_deepsea
elephant_yellow
elephant_red
My thoughts around the elephants are that they are symbolic for both being lucky in many cultures, but also that they are "the elephant in the room", but instead of being silent that they are bursting with color and many of their bodies are collaged from words... type from old books and handwriting from old italian letters that I found in the Florence flea markets. Their speech bubbles are made from a combination of scanned in fabrics, art paper and bits of ephemera.
please check out the show at Nahcotta if you're local and if not then you can see them on line and purchase them too!


12 comments:

sMacThoughts said...

I would love to see this show in person. best of luck!

Anonymous said...

We've received your work and posted a blurb about it on our blog!

http://www.crankyyellow.com/blog

Thanks Mati!

-David
of the Cranky Yellow Team!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mati~ I went and saw your work tonight for the opening. Your work looked great as always!!!
I hope your well.
Love and Smiles,
Jill
nalettejm@yahoo.com

Caryn Lynn said...

I am looking forward to seeing the show at Nachotta. Your painting was featured in the showcase section of the Foster's paper for the press release. I am so excited to be creative with you at your workshop at the Art Nest Retreat!

Alessandra Cave said...

Hi Mati!!!!Let's play soon! Missing you xoxx

Anonymous said...

The whole show looks great, and your elephants are AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

I love your ellies. delightful. I am even more excited to work with you at ArtNest!
Check out my workif your'e interested
www.twofish4.wordpress.com

vantiani said...

Hi, Mati!

I post about how inspiring your elephants are to me on my blog. And I like you to know that you make an awesome monkey ones too:)

Thank you so much,

Vantiani.

Anonymous said...

Your work is so lovely! x

Heather said...

these are magical!~

The Little Cloth Rabbit said...

These elephants are so wonderful! Thanks for brightening my day :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mati, Everything about your work is so fresh , exciting and new. I am amazed. I will keep pushing myself and am all ready to start painting big time.2 whole days of it really fired me up .Thanks for sharing you skills and insights . You have an amazing talent, eye for design an insight. I filed so much away in my head of what you said ,now if I can just keep recalling it hmmmm I will be on my way.Thanks sweets!!!